Sure, roofing may not be the most interesting topic in today’s world but here are some of our favorite roofing facts that might just make you strike up a conversation about roofing!
1. One of the oldest roofing materials around is thatch. Thatch was most commonly used between 5000 and 1800 B.C. Clay, which is also one of the oldest used materials for roofing, is traced all the way back to 10,000 B.C.
2. Thatched roofs are popular due to it’s natural waterproof properties. The material is tightly woven together and simply sheds water away. A thatched roof repels water, sleet, and snow.
3. Both red and white cedar shingles are known for being the most “classic” roofing choices for homes in the Pacific Northwest.
4.While the belief that more natural building materials like hold the strongest sentimental appeal, many insurance companies charge more for a home with a wood-shake roof. This is because it has a higher potential for fire and damage.
5. The majority of metal roofing materials weigh less than wood shingles.
6. Asphalt shingles are one of the newest materials for roofing (invented in 1900), but they are the most popular in the U.S.
7. Green roofing materials generally last longer than asphalt roofing tiles do.
8. Traditional green roofs (roofs that allow for planting on top) don’t have any possibility of leakages when installed properly. This is due to plants and soil protecting the roof from sun damage and/or extreme changes in temperature. As long as the water barrier is intact, a green roof will keep a home and building dry for many years.
9. Water travels before dripping down into a home or building. Most every leak from a roof will leak up to twenty feet away from where the leak originally began on top of the roof.
With all this roofing knowledge, you may just be ready to get that new roof you’ve been thinking about! If you are, contact our skilled Miami roofing contractors at A-! Roofing and Waterproofing LLC today!